Years in print:
The first number was issued at Edwardsville October 12th, 1865, under the ownership of Messrs. Whitman & Crabb. Crabb soon retired from the partnership, and Whitman continued the publication until October 5th, 1869, when he sold the material to S.V. Crossman, editor and proprietor of the Republican.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882).