Years in print:
In January, 1875, J.N. Shoemaker issued the first number of the Alton Democrat. The leading organ of the Democratic party in southern Illinois was founded by James N. Shoemaker and Hugh E. Bayle. It was a weekly. During the first year, E.J. Bronson was connected with its publication. On the 17th of June, 1876, the daily edition was commenced. In September of the same year the paper passed into the hands of Messrs. Perrin, Smith & Co. The "Co." was then D.C. Fitz Morris, who was the editor. Perrin, Smith & Co. continued until March 1st, 1878, when Fitz Morris withdrew from the firm. The daily was a seven column folio and the weekly a six column quarto.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co. 1882).
Bought out by the Alton Evening Telegraph 12/31/1924.