Years in print:
This magazine was established in July, 1879, by Professor T.R. Vickroy of St. Louis, a prominent member of the American Spelling Reform Association. Four numbers appeared that year, and in 1880 the Techer began to be published regularly as a monthly. In 1882 it appeared as a semi-monthly. It is printed in the transition alphabet of the Spelling Reform Association, and is the organ of that body, whose object is the simplification of English orthography. Its appearance marked the real beginning of practical spelling reform.
(From the History of St. Louis City and County by John Thomas Scharf, 1883).