Years in print:
The Alton American was a five column paper established in Alton November 8th, 1833. Its founder, J.S. Buchanan, was a writer of some merit. It was devoted to the agricultural, mechanical and mercantile interests of Lower Alton and vicinity. It had a brief existence. The paper was a monthly publication printed at Alton by Messrs Braley & Parks, and edited by Rev. T. Lippincott. It was a religious but not denominational newspaper.
(From The History of Madison County, Illinois by W.R. Brink & Co., 1882).