Years in print:
In May, 1868, a German paper named the Freie Presse was organized and issued by a joint stock company composed of leading Democrats of Belleville. Mr. Mueller was editor. It was a campaign paper and was published until the close of the canvass, and soon after, the press and material was purchased by Mr. Brickey of Red Bud and moved to that town, where the publication was resumed with A. Helmich as its editor and Peter Baker publisher. The office was soon removed to Belleville, and the paper was published for one year, when it suspended and the office was closed.
(From the History of St. Clair County, Illinois by Brink, McDonough & Co. 1881).